Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day and Romantic Comedies

A Word From Sarah


With Valentine's Day right around the corner, love (or something like it) is on nearly everyone's mind. Planning special dates, buying gifts, lying in bed wallowing in misery over a lack of significant other, we all have our own ways of celebrating this special day. Though many scorn Valentine's Day for its overcommercialization and focus on romantic love, I look at it a bit differently. Valentine's Day is a day to take a step back from the hustle and bustle of every day and recognize the people we care about. Whether its a romantic date, at girls night or taking the time to play a game with your mother, show those you love how much you care tomorrow.

To help set the mood for romance and fun, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite romantic comedies. Though perhaps not the most creative genre, romantic comedies are cute and fun and perfect for everything from a girls night in to a romantic home theater experience.
Guys, don't let your pride get in the way. If you just let yourself relax and enjoy them, romantic comedies can be super fun.

The Holiday - Two women, one in LA and one in England swap houses for two weeks to try to escape failed romances and wind up finding love in unexpected places.
Adorable and sweet with exceptional performances, especially by Jack Black. Its the first time I've ever seen him in a non comedy and I absolutely love it.

Notting Hill - When the owner of a failing travel bookstore runs into a world famous actress (literally) it is the beginning of a romance that neither expected.
I absolutely love Hugh Grant in romantic comedies. Combine him with Julia Roberts and you get one of the best pairs possible. Both a cute and hilarious movie, I admit to watching it over and over again as it contains some of my favorite lines in film.

Love Actually - Follows the stories of eight couples in the weeks leading up to Christmas to show that love actually is all around.
Such a sensational cast. Keira Knightly, Hugh Grant (again), Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, and many others star in one of the most fantastic romantic comedies ever. I love the inclusion of so many different types of people with so many different stories. Definitely a must-see.


Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - When Norah walks up to Nick in a club and asks him to be her boyfriend for five minutes, it is the start of a night the neither of them will ever forget.
One of the few book to movie adaptations that I actually enjoy. Sure, there's differences but the character and personality of this movie is hard not to fall in love with. I always want to run off and adventure in New York City after watching this.

Ten Things I Hate About You - On his first day at a new high school, Cameron immediately spots the beautiful Bianca. His instant attraction is not dissuaded when he discovers that Bianca is not allowed to date until her overly feminist older sister does. Instead, Cameron sets off to find the perfect guy for Kat and so win Bianca's heart.
I absolutely cannot believe that they remade this. The original was so perfect. I absolutely adore this movie and it never fails to make me smile. Heath Ledger is absolutely amazing (and adorable) in this. Always a fun option.

Music and Lyrics - Alex Fletcher, a washed up 80's pop singer teams up with the woman who waters his plants to write a hit song for the newest big star, Cora Corman.
Yet another Hugh Grant... he really is fantastic in romantic comedies. I absolutely adore the soundtrack to this movie. Combined with the adorable story, it earns a place in my favorite feel good films.

So if you need plans for tomorrow, settle in with a box of chocolates and a blanket. And possibly a cat. They're wonderful movie companions.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. So I love the introduction on this one.... ^_^ cute and funny

    Love Actually! Definitely my favorite romcom <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these.
    Also, read the Tangled one.
    I've gotta get around to watching it.

    ReplyDelete