Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Producers

Directed by: Susan Stroman
Written by: Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan
Top Billed Actors: Nathan Lane, Mathew Broderick and Uma Thurman

Genre: Musical
Year Released: 2005
Rating: PG-13


Max Bialystock is the worst Broadway producer in town. He produces flop after flop while longing for the days of his former glory. However, he still manages to make some money. You see, the IRS doesn’t pay much attention if a few thousand dollars disappears from an unsuccessful show. However, things are about to get even bigger. When Leo Bloom, a neurotic public accountant, shows up to help Max Bialystock with his taxes, he suggests the idea that a Broadway producer could conceivably make a bigger profit on a flop than a hit. The pair team up in a musical attempt to produce the worst show in Broadway history.

Sarah’s Thoughts
I originally consented to watch this movie just so I would know what Chris and his friends kept singing and quoting. As a fan of musicals in general, I do love the songs in The Producers. They’re catchy, fun, and completely fit the spirit of the film.
However, while I’d say that Chris is rather obsessed with this movie, the humor wasn’t as much to my taste. Nearly all of the characters are awkward individuals in one way or another and wind up in even more awkward situations. While I can see the humor in this and can even laugh at it, I just as often find myself painfully embarrassed for the characters.
This is particularly prominent because Nathan Lane’s voice sounds just the same as his character in The Lion King – Timon. And I must say, hearing Timon sing about having sex with little old ladies so they will finance his shows is rather disconcerting.
Despite this, I did enjoy watching The Producers and particularly enjoyed laughing at Chris as he quoted nearly every line along with the actors.

Side Note to Doctor Who and Torchwood fans – Keep and eye out for John Barrowman, AKA Captain Jack Harkness during the production of “Springtime for Hitler.”

Chris’s Thoughts
So remember when I told you that I love musicals. Back when we did Rent? Yeah well, I want to reiterate. I LOVE MUSICALS! And I AM REALLY EXCITED TO DO THIS REVIEW! The Producers is exactly what I love in a movie. Hysterical, offensive, witty, sophisticated and yet so dumb at the same time. This movie "offends peoples of all religions, races, and creeds" but you can't help but laugh. I mean with leads such as Mathew Broderick, Nathan Lane, Will Ferrell and Uma Thermon, how can you go wrong? The songs are witty and hilarious and sometimes even sexy. With singing homosexuals, dancing Nazis, and "aging nymphomaniacs" The Producers is a hit in my book. The camaraderie between Max and Leo is palpable. Lane and Broderick make a great fricken duo and I am absolutely in love with this movie. YOU MUST SEE IT! I'm sure I've said this about the other movies I've reviewed, but I mean it this time. If you don't watch it an evil leprechaun will eat your dreams and leave you with only nightmares! SO DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment