Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rent

Directed by: Chris Columbus
Written by: Stephen Chbosky
Jonathan Larson – Original
Top Billed Actors: Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Idina Menzel, Tracie, Thoms, Taye Diggs

Genre: Musical
Year Released: 2005
Rating: PG-13


Based on the hit Broadway show, which was in turn based on the opera La Boheme, Rent follows a group of starving artists through a year in their Bohemian lives in the East Village of New York City. Though they are faced with financial difficulties, loss, drug abuse and HIV, they Bohemians constantly strive to forget regret and live for the moment and to measure life in love.

Sarah's Thoughts
Though I found Rent to be a bit too complex to give a particularly satisfying detailed summary, I hope to make up for it in my review. Though that, too, may prove difficult due to the cat who has decided that my keyboard is the perfect spot for nap. No matter how sweet this is, it makes typing rather difficult. But… I digress.
From the first time I saw Rent about 5 years ago, I have loved it. I consider myself to be a bit of a Broadway junkie and have attended an embarrassing number of shows. Of all of these shows, Rent is one of my favorites and is, without a doubt, the one that has touched my life the most.
From the first note, the music is some of the most brilliant and touching I have ever heard. Rather than the traditional Broadway sound, Rent has a more edgy feel, matching the attitude of the characters.
Speaking of the characters, they are the driving force behind the story. Every character seems truly human with good and bad traits. None are purely good or purely villainous. I find that their realistic Nature is a key factor in the genius of Rent and the audience’s connection with the story. I know that I, at least, cannot get to the end with completely dry eyes no matter how many times I watch.
Overall, this is a fantastic film and I would highly recommend it. I would even more strongly recommend the stage show if you are ever in a position to attend a performance.

“No other road, no other way, no day but today.”

Chris’s thoughts:

If you know me, you probably know that I love to sing. You also probably know that I love to act. So when the two of those combine, it creates a wonderful combination of amazing proportions. I love musicals, they are catchy, different, and all around a great time. So when I watched Rent for the first time, I want you to understand how completely and utterly THRILLED I was. There is no main character in Rent. The plot focuses around the lives of seven very different people who are somewhat similar. Most of these characters are starving artists, Mark the filmmaker, Roger the musician, and Mimi the dancer. This musical is different then others. Instead of just a straight up orchestra, the instruments used in Rent don't focus around the piano, violin or flute, but around the guitar, the drums, etc. This gives the musical a “new” sound. I absolutely love the sound of this musical.
The characters are all so real. They all have their flaws and they seem so human. None of them are perfect and they all know that. What I absolutely love about this movie is the fact that no matter how crappy life gets the characters all try to be cheerful. I mean when you think about a lot of drama's or other musicals the sorrow and mopyness (yes I made up this word) is kinda exaggerated. But in Rent, as it usually is in real life, they try to make the best out of their crappy situations. Its hard to completely describe this movie. It has so many amazing factors that they are hard to list in a short blog. All I can say is to watch the movie. The movie is so sad and yet so happy, so dramatic, but so witty. Rent's conflicting themes are what makes this movie so fantastic. I could go on and on, but our blogs are usually pretty short and my fingers are kinda tired from typing so furiously. So once again, I urge you to watch this movie. It will change you...like it changed me. This is Chris Wharton...signing off.




On another note, the original writer of the play, Jonathan Larson dedicated his life to writing Rent. He worked in a dingy diner in New York City for ten years to support his writing. His firsthand experiences in the city contribute largely to Rent’s realism and emotional impact. When he finally completed the place, he was thrilled to be able to quit work at the Moondance Diner and begin production.
After months and months of work, Rent was finally ready to open for its first preview. That night, Jonathan Larson went home alone, feeling rather ill. The next morning, a friend found his body on the kitchen floor.
On January 25, 1996, at age 35, Jonathan Larson died of an aortic aneurysm. Two weeks later, Rent opened as an almost immediate hit. By April, it was on Broadway. Jonathan never saw the success of his life’s work. He never knew of the Tony Awards or the film adaptation.
For the thousands of us touched by Rent there is one thing we can all say with pure honesty.

Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

3 comments:

  1. you two look absolutely dashing in your new photo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a powerful show, I love that you both find it as touching as I do. Also? I approve of made-up words :-P your blog posts just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete